Table of Content
An introduction to blogging, all you should know about a blog
What is a Blog and why you Need One?
So you’ve heard about the word BLOG or BLOGGING and wondering how to go about it or what is all about? No worries because you’ll find answers to all your questions here. I am here to help with a step by step guide on how to set up a blog for your passion or business as the case may be.
Before we jump right into the guide on how to start blogging in less than 30 minutes there are some important keynotes we have to look at first.
First Thing First.
WHO IS THIS WEBSITE AND ITS GUIDE MEANT FOR?
If you have ever wonder or ask yourself:
- How can I build my own blog or website?
- How do I register a domain name and hosting?
- Which hosting provider should I use?
- Which blogging platform should I use?
- How do I get an online presence for my business, career, passion etc?
- How can I tell my story to the world?
- Which blogging platform should I use?
- And if you go with my suggestions of which blogging platform and hosting provider to use, then
- How do I install WordPress?
- Which WordPress plugin or theme should I pick?
- How do I fix WordPress error?
- What are the best practices to follow in WordPress? Etc.
Then this site and its guide are meant for you.
WHAT IS A BLOG AND WHY YOU NEED ONE?
A blog is a website or web page that is regularly updated run by an individual or group of persons, that is written in an informal or conversational style. I know you’ll be asking what are the difference between a website and a blog. To this my dear reader I’ll say that If уоu are not quite ѕurе as to what the dіffеrеnсе іѕ bеtwееn a blog and a wеbѕіtе уоu аrеn’t alone. The lіnеѕ аrе nоt always crystal сlеаr.
The good news is that WordPress serves in both capacities whether you want a website or a blog, an online store or a listing website, music downloading site or a company website. There are 1000s of WordPress themes and Plugins that will help you achieve whatever you want with no coding experience.
Yes, that’s true, with WordPress you can build any website of your choice without going to school to learn HTML, CSS, PHP etc. Gone are the days when you can’t share your information online without coding it with Notepad and the rest of other text editor software after which you think of FileZilla and the likes to upload it to the server.
WHY YOU NEED A BLOG OR AN ONLINE PRESENCE
It’s no secret that the world has embraced all things digital since the birth of the internet. In the digital age, it is absolutely essential for your ideas or business to have an online presence. Whether it’s a blogging website, an e-commerce platform, a social media page or a combination of all three, getting your company online will reap major benefits.
The Internet never sleeps, and every portal you offer online gives your business a virtual 24-hour showroom. This allows potential customers to research your product or service after business hours, and in the privacy of their own home. To give you an idea of the explosion of online usage over the last 17 years, consider this:
In 2000, about 361 million people were online worldwide. In 2014, there were over 3 billion. That’s a growth rate of 764%! Today, nearly half the world is online. So if you are still sleeping wake up and face realities cause you’ve missed a lot and will continue to miss until you make that SMART decision now.
That is why this guide is meant to walk you through step by step on setting up your site with WordPress self-hosted domain, not a free domain. In order to achieve this, there are some things that you need.
Let me assumed you have a computer with a high-speed internet connection already. So in other to own a website or a blog of your own you need:
- A Domain Name: Registering your own domain name which is what I recommend like “yourName.com or .net or .org” will give you full control over your business online because am not only showing you how to blog for fun but how to build a business within your blog after all comedians use their talent which is fun to them to end a living so why won’t you? You can register your domain with domain.com see more details on this here.
- Hosting Provider: In other to have full control of your blog and its content, in other to determine what goes on in your site, you need a self-hosted blog which I’ll recommend you use BlueHost. See details on how to host your blog with BlueHost by clicking here.
- Choose a Niche or Topic you are Passionate about Blogging means sharing your ideas with the world and this goes with a regular update which can be daily, weekly or monthly depending on your schedule. Therefore starting up with a topic of your passion can help you go a long way so you don’t just start and be stranded. Check out these tips on what to blog on.
- Commitment: Like seriously one thing you need to be successful in blogging is the commitment you put to it. When you start your blog, your readers, your customers or should I say the visitors of your site will be expecting more from you and it is expected of you to serve them, so your time matters a lot. This doesn’t mean you quitting your job because you can keep both your job and blogging going pari passu.
WordPress is the number one and most popular blogging platform in the world and I have no doubt that with thousands of themes and plugins been built by developers every day it would definitely serve the purpose of which you are using it for. It is free big name brands sites like ChannelTV CNN All uses WordPress.